Water is one of the earth’s elements, along with earth, wind and fire!
When you hear about a home burning it creates this overarching fear of which items will never been seen again. Fire is dangerous, same with the earth shifting causing for foundations to crack and high winds which can destroy siding and roofs, even windows. Often times though, water is over looked, but is just as dangerous, if not more.
We spell it out for you with water damage timing below!
DAMAGE IN MINUTES
- Water contamination spreads and therefore rapidly increases claim costs.
- Moisture-sensitive furniture finishes begin to turn white.
- Furniture standing on saturated carpets will begin to leach and stain the carpeting.
DAMAGE IN HOURS
- Furniture in direct contact with water begins to de-laminate and swell
- Normal household odors, amplified by humidity, become glaringly apparent.
- Dyes from non-colorfast fabrics begin to bleed.
- Fungi appear, along with their characteristic musty odors.
- Severe warping and cupping of wood becomes apparent. Wood floors may become unsalvageable.
- Paint blisters, and wallpaper adhesives release and start to peel away.
- Wood structural pieces begin to swell, warp and split apart.
- Mold sinks roots into organic materials and destroys their integrity.
- Occupants must be evacuated due to health hazards.
- Allergen sensitivity may arise from microbial growth.
- A complete gutting of the structure may be necessary, which will drive the claim up astronomically and displace the occupants.
As you can see, water can cause damage! The moment you start to notice any kind water leak, you must get it taken care of right away. Additionally, something to be mindful of is the importance of calling a professional if the water has been there for days. Primarily this is because mold can be extremely harmful and could cause extensive health problems if not handled properly. Home restoration businesses are in our community and can provide these specialty services. They are on-call in times of emergencies.