As families grow, so do their needs and priorities.
Homes that once felt spacious and comfortable can quickly become cramped and chaotic. If you’re a growing family looking to create a home that works for everyone, there are a few key priorities that can help you make the most of your space. Here are eight home priorities to consider to ease the pressures of a growing family:
- Space: One of the most important priorities for growing families is space. Whether it’s an extra bedroom, a larger living room, or a dedicated play area for the kids, having enough room to spread out and relax is key. Space can be made to with strategic furnishing and layout.
- Storage: As your family grows, so do your belongings. Adequate storage space is essential for keeping your home organized and clutter-free. Consider adding built-in storage solutions or investing in multi-functional furniture to maximize your space. Also, is using larger storage units, making sure they are securely placed against a wall, that will help with the next priority.
- Safety: With young children in the house, safety is always a top priority. Make sure your home is equipped with childproofing measures such as outlet covers, safety gates, and cabinet locks to keep your little ones safe and secure if they are in the child proofing ages. Also, consider the neighborhood crime and near by activities that your home is exposed to. The geographic location is important to safety too.
- Functionality: A home that works for your family should be both functional and practical. Consider the layout of your home and how it can best support your daily routines and activities. An example of this is having offices in parts of the home that lend privacy. Or, consider putting the baby room close to your bedroom for accessibility.
- Outdoor space: If you have kids, outdoor space is a must-have. A backyard or outdoor play area can provide a safe and fun space for your children to play and explore. If you have coverings too, it can most certainly extend your home’s livable space too.
- Privacy: As your family grows, privacy becomes more important. Make sure each member of your family has their own space to retreat to when they need some alone time. This could be even having certain rooms with locks installed on them to provide ensured privacy, it could be placing shelving or dividers throughout the home to separate spaces and give areas of privacy.
- Entertainment: Whether it’s a dedicated media room or a cozy reading nook or toy room having spaces for entertainment and relaxation is essential for a growing family. It can be especially important for kids to associate certain rooms to certain activities so they can build out a routine.
- Flexibility: Finally, a home that works for a growing family needs to be flexible. As your family’s needs change over time, your home should be able to adapt and evolve with you. This could be something as simple as having bedrooms that can go from a cradle to a queen. Or, it could be having space on your property to build an addition.
By prioritizing these key areas, you can create a home that works for your growing family and supports your daily life. With a little planning and creativity, you can transform your home into a space that everyone in your family loves to call home. Overall, any one of these can help ease the stresses of a growing family on your home life.
Rebecca Hess, Cheyenne Realtor at RE/MAX Capitol Properties shared her eight tips on home priorities for growing families with us in the recent video below. Rebecca and her husband, Colin, have 10 children, so we call her the expert! Subscribe to our YouTube channel for more real estate tips, homes for sale in Cheyenne and Laramie County real estate market updates.
As you begin this exciting journey of family growth, remember that your home is more than just walls and a roof—it’s the foundation for your family’s cherished memories. By prioritizing the right features, from ample space to safety and convenience, you can create a nurturing environment where your family can thrive and flourish. Don’t hesitate to reach out to us for expert guidance in finding the perfect family-friendly home if you are ready to make a move. Contact us today to explore homes that meet your growing family’s unique needs and take the next step toward a brighter future.